Great Eastern Railway
Port of registry:
Simpson and Company, London
10 August 1864
Out of service:
750 gross register tons (GRT)
215 feet (66 m)
27.1 feet (8.3 m)
17.7 feet (5.4 m)
PS Harwich was a freight vessel built for the Great Eastern Railway in 1864.
The ship was built by Simpson and Company in London in 1864 as the first of an order of two vessels, the second being PS Rotterdam to be used to transport livestock from Rotterdam and Antwerp to Harwich. She was schooner rigged, with efficient masts, so as to have the ability to sail under emergencies. She made her maiden voyage on 10 August 1864 carrying 300 head of oxen and 600 sheep.
In 1884 she was converted to a twin-screw ship by Earle’s Shipbuilding in Hull, and fitted with new boilers and compound engines.
She was sold in 1907 for scrapping.
^ Duckworth, Christian Leslie Dyce; Langmuir, Graham Easton (1968). Railway and other Steamers. Prescot, Lancashire: T. Stephenson and Sons.
^ “The New Steamer Harwich”. The Suffolk Chronicle. England. 13 August 1864. Retrieved 6 November 2015 – via British Newspaper Archive. (subscription required (help)).
Ships operated by the Great Eastern Railway
Princess of Wales
Train Ferry No. 1
Train Ferry No. 2
Train Ferry No. 3